Thursday, March 3, 2011

Diets and Sin, Part II

Yes, the diet is going well; first time I've actually stuck one out this long - 17 pounds in 17 days. Anyway, the weight loss is not the big deal, it's really the lessons. I'm pretty convinced God can teach you anything in any experience if you are just open and attentive.

So, a few more lessons:
1. A few days ago, while running some errands, I passed by a restaurant that smelled particularly good. From the parking lot of another store, my senses were pleasantly assaulted. I mean I smelled something good, really good. What came to mind as that nasal temptation lingered is that sinful behavior or godly behavior work the same way. When we get near enough to smell something tempting, it is very likely to draw us in. The best thing to do is stay far away from the aroma of temptation. Now, that's probably no surprise, but think of the positive application of that same principle. When we have walked with God, when we have "tasted and seen that the Lord is good," His aroma, the aroma of godliness can draw us in. The more positive experiences we have in walking with the Lord, the more we experience His goodness and faithfulness, the greater our appetite for Him. I want the smell of godliness to become so appealing to me that the temptations this world assails me with have no pleasurable draw.

2. About mid-way through the diet (day 11 or so), I stalled. I stopped losing any weight. For four days I was stuck at the same weight. I panicked initially and then I remembered the book said it was common to stall about half-way through for 4-6 days. Sure enough, on day 5, I dropped 3 pounds which put me right back on track with my pound per day average. Now, I'll be honest, even though I knew the stall was normal, four days of no results was pretty disheartening. There were even a few brief moments of "I might as well quit." It was discouraging, but then came day 5 - more progress. I find the same is true in my spiritual life. There are times I stall out, make little progress, and get discouraged. As Chuck Swindoll said, it's three steps forward, two steps back. The two steps back aren't any fun, but it's still progress. We just have to hang on and press on. I have to focus on the positive God is working in my life. When I fall back I cannot allow satan to beat me down and convince me to give up. I need to look for the next forward step and focus on the success God gives me. Success breeds success.

3. Because I wasn't all that fat or unhealthy looking (I like to wear loose fitting clothes) when people would hear I was on a diet they would ask "WHY!" You know, how something looks on the outside doesn't tell everything. I didn't look bad, but my body fat % was quite high and despite working out almost daily I never lost weight (doesn't help that I eat like a pig - may surprise some of you, but food is one area where I have no self-control. Really, around my house they hide stuff from me - if I see a package of Oreos, I won't eat one or two, I'll eat the whole package). Well I digress (sounds like digest - wish I had something to digest right now). So, you see where I'm going here...spiritually, it's definitely not how we look on the outside but what's happening inside. Remember man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart (I Samuel 16:7). Jesus, in talking about the Pharisees (very religious people), said they were like "white washed tombs" - looking good on the outside, but filled with death, rotten, stinking. I want to be careful, when I look in the mirror spiritually, that I'm looking past the outward appearance and really letting the Spirit of God show me my heart. It may take some pretty strict dieting from the world, but I'd rather my heart be really healthy than just look good to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment