Sunday, June 27, 2010

My Sweet Spot

I know, I know, I just get so busy I forget about this blog thing. I guess I haven't gotten serious enough to be disciplined about it, to make it priority. I really don't know that I often have that much worth saying.

But, a good lesson today. I am in Cajamarca with a team from GS. When I come here I try to just be like everyone else, just a servant. The Peruvians hold pastors in high regard so it's hard to be a nobody. Yesterday, the pastor at the main church mentioned that a little church up in the mountains was struggling. He wanted some of our group to go up to encourage them and asked if I would preach there (he said a "white man" in the pulpit would encourage them - guess that qualified me).

I agreed to do it, only to find out later that he also wanted someone from our group to speak in the main church this morning. My flesh immediately said, "Send someone else to this tiny mountain church and you speak at the bigger church." Fortunately, I have come to be pretty perceptive at recognizing the voice of my flesh. I have never spoken at the main church and was tempted to be jealous, but I knew without a doubt that God wanted me to go encourage these villagers.

The journey was difficult. I'm o.k. driving on mt. roads but riding in a van is altogether different. Long story short, we get there and there are six of us, eight Peruvians who went up from Cajamarca with us, and six people from this little church. They had once been 50 until there were some difficulties that caused them to close the doors months ago. My flesh began to rear it's ugly head again, "All this for six people? I don't feel like even being here. This won't work." I remembered this was the assignment God gave me today. We had a wonderful time together - the message was simply about the work God calls every church to do. It was incredible to worship and share the word with believers a world away from us (in distance and experience). At the end of the message we got to pray over two men who decided to step up and lead. We got to see the commitment of the people from the main church in Cajamarca who are going to go up weekly to help (that will mean getting on a bus at 2:00 a.m. every Sunday). It was an awesome and convicting moment to see such commitment by people who firmly believe God has called them to reach that village.

Bottom line for me: I was exactly where God wanted me today. Much as I love preaching at GS, even that could not have been as fulfilling as being in a tiny little church with dirt floors challenging six simple people who simply love Jesus; I'm so glad I went where He sent - nothing like being in the sweet spot.

4 comments:

  1. wow Dave that has to have been a great experience.. praying for you and the team..
    Speaking of GS,, great day of worship and tonight was just your type of service..Think we are really instore for some great things to happen..

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! bigger doesnt always mean better.... i can see you got more of a blessing and reward by going to the "small church" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For most of us being in the "sweet spot" does not happen as often as we would like. For me, when it does happen, often times is when God has taken the controls out of my hands and put me in the passenger seat and said "let me drive".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. Our flesh so readily tries to discourage us before, and sometimes during, what will be some of our most encouraging and insightful moments. It was great to see you at GS. I sure have missed it. I hope the team you are with now has a safe and fruitful trip. I will be keeping y'all in my prayers. We are going down to Peru again in July (23-31), this time with a church from Birmingham - Valleydale. We plan on going further South to Atico and Caraveli near Arequipa. Will you be in Peru during that time? Perhaps we can meet for lunch again in Lima. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete