Saturday, February 27, 2010

Numbering My Days

So, turning 49 this past week was really no big deal. Just another day, but also another opportunity to think about death. Not death in a morbid, depressive kind of way, just in the sense of being realistic about what is coming and what I want to have accomplished. Hopefully I think about what I'm doing often, but at least once a year I have opportunity to be reminded that there is an end.

Even at 49, it is a little hard to remember your mortality: I haven't really slowed down much at this point (o.k., maybe a little mentally), I don't feel significantly older than I did in my 30's. But, you know, at any age we need to remember that we have a limited amount of time to make our impact for Christ, to establish a legacy worth living and leaving.

Several years ago I was speaking at a discipleship conference. Before my session I sat in and listened to another speaker that was in his 60's. He got up, pulled out his daytimer, looked at the top corner and said, "If the Lord gives me my three-score and ten, I have ____ days left." I don't remember the number of days he said but I was impressed that this guy lives daily thinking about how many days he has and what he'll do with them.

The reality is we don't know, but in practice, it's probably good to focus on a set number. I may die in an accident or from an illness long before my three-score and ten, but if I'm not putting some end time out there I'll live like there is none and will accomplish nothing.

We need an end date. We need to remember our mortality. We need to remember while we are young that we won't have as much energy and opportunity when we are older. Now is my time to make a real difference, to leave a mark, to make a significant impact. I don't want to miss it.

Lord, "Teach us to number our days aright that we may gain a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:12)

P.S. If the Lord gives me my three-score and ten, as of today, I have 7666 left. Seems like a lot unless you factor that I started with 25,567 (including leap years). Do the math for yourself - may help you use what's left wisely.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not good at math, remember! Will you figure mine out for me:) "Live like you were dying" Seize The Day!

    ReplyDelete